Tuesday, June 21, 2011

A beautiful day in the neighborhood

Hubby took the morning off so that we could see the Picasso exhibit that just opened.  I wasn't a fan of Picasso's work until I studied him in art history class.  When I finally understood just what cubism was about, I was in awe of his work.  This exhibit, at the DeYoung Museum in Golden Gate Park, was a great anthology of sorts that took visitors on a tour of the many styles of art he produced.  There were some pieces and styles that I loved and some that I was indifferent to.  

Most people know Picasso's cubist and abstract styles but not everyone may be familiar with his sculpture which references styles from classical Greek statuary to the voluptuous abstract forms that you see in his paintings, to a blocky, geometric sort of style that reminds the viewer of his cubist period.  Most artists change their styles as their techniques improve and grow but Picasso was mind boggling in the sheer volume of work and variety of styles he tried out over his lifetime.

My favorites works were little pencil sketches that were done as studies for larger works.  There were a couple of tiny sketches that were so delicately drawn and perfectly detailed, they almost looked like they'd been stitched onto the page.  Whenever I visit a museum (much to hubby's chagrin) regardless of what city or country I'm in, I end up buying books.  I am very close to reaching maximum capacity on every bookshelf in the house with all my art and fashion books.  As a fashion designer and fiber artist, I find myself drawn to artists who's work triggers my brain to think about unusual color combinations or stitch patterns, shapes and textures that I could use in my work.  When I get blocked during the development phase of a project, I just pull a book from my library and quickly find myself with far more ideas than I have time to complete.  So today, I decided that I didn't really need a Picasso book, I just wanted a few post cards of some of my favorite pieces for my inspiration wall.  Of course, none of my favorite pieces were available on a postcard (grrrrr) so I had to settle for a small book of a few postcards.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment